CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, April 25, 2008

Optimist vs. Pessimist

The world is divided into two types of people- the optimist and the pessimist. they don't get along very well together, because they simply don't understand each other.
when things are gong great, the optimist says something like, "I'm sure things will continue like this for a long time to come!" The pessimist, on the other hand, says something along the lines of, "Things can't go perfectly forever. something bad is coming- I know it!"
When something terrible is coming, the optimist usually exclaims cheerily, "Look on the bright side! Things really could be a lot worse." While the pessimist sighs and says, "I knew it."
The optimist enjoys being an optimist because his upbeat and cheerful attitude can triumph over anything life throws at him.
The pessimist enjoys being a pessimist because usually he's right, and sometimes he's pleasantly surprised.
The optimist can't understand the pessimist. to him, the pessimist is the eternal grouch. he's like the cantankerous old man who lives all alone and yells at little kids when they go onto his lawn to retrieve a ball. to the optimist, pessimists are infuriating, because they absolutely refuse to cheer up or shed their attitude of "the world is going to end today, and we're all going to die."
The pessimist is equally frustrated with the optimist. he doesn't understand why the optimist would want to live a lie, pretending that the world is all rainbows and ice cream and fuzzy kittens, while closing his eyes to the truth- the war and the hate and the pain. to the pessimist, the optimist is the short, plump, lady with a hat brimming with flowers, with a smile permanently etched onto her face as if it was glued there- the sort of lady who's always smiling and laughing when you feel like screaming in frustration, always trying to plant a sticky kiss n your cheek, and you sometimes wish you could punch her, just to wipe that infuriating smile off her face, if even for just a moment.
i think it's time for this age-old feud to come to an end. the optimists and pessimists should learn to understand each other. true, their views on the world might be complete opposites, but we can all still get along, can't we? with time and patience, perhaps sometime in the future, the optimist and the pessimist can learn to let go of their differences and join together.

...or maybe that's just wistful thinking.

19 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not wish ful thinking, my best friend is a complete an utter pesimiste, while i'm an optimiste and even though she can be annoying we get on really well, just as long as i don't try to make her see the bright side.

Beachbum said...

good point. but one of my friends is a hugh pesimist and i'm more in the middle and we get along great. not all pesimists and optimists get along poorly. but it is a good point to make. can't we all just get along?!
-Christine♥
p.s. YOU'RE BACK! YEAH!

Zetsu said...

I agree. Everyone should JUST get along!

TwilightMafia said...

Also there could be a problem with people getting along because then there wouldn't be a way to solve disputes because the only way we do that is to kill each other. note the rampant sarcasm)of course because we can't live with people that disagree with us or are way too different we can't just say whatever and walk away and leave them ALONE! no we have to go and lop off their heads or blast them apart with guns. I agree we should just live in a peaceful world not perfect but peaceful. Which will probally never happen because we are like carnivores survival of the fittest and we just kill the people or things that can't stand up to us. Peaceful world+pretty much unatainable. No i'm not a pessimist only a realist

Victoria (call me Vee) said...

I think that was a very good point.

Olivia said...

Hey griffinrider. I have a blog and I was also looking at the "othersideofride" blog comments, and you know, you and I have a lot in common. I really like nickleback, especially the song um the one about him wanting to be a rock star. The way you like rain and daydreaming, well thats what I like to do as well. You can really put a lot of meaning into your posts.

I'm not just saying all this stuff for the fun of it, I really mean what I say. Always.
(sort of)

Cuppy said...

Hear Hear!!! i totally agree! I'm an optimist, personally, but i try my hardest to get along with the pessimists. I truly do. And you'll never gues what...I've managed to become pretty good friends with a few. It's always fun trying to cheer them up, it presents a sort of challenge to me.

Ees anano retal
Cuppy

Jo, Aeron, Skyy, Brandon, and Bella said...

i think of myself as a dark optimist.

i really believe that there is good in the world and that it's worth fighting for, but i'm also very sensitive to the darkness in the world. i'm the last person you'll ever see dancing with rainbows and kittens and a goofy smile on my face, but i always try to look for the good in people and situations. it's a fine line.

my goal in life is to live with fierce joy. which for me sort of sums up dark optimism.

flock out,
jo

Alannah said...

I'm sort of in the middle. I like to think optimisticly, but my pessimistic side always shows through and I expect bad things. I guess I'm a realist.

HIpPIeGUrL said...

http://www.hippiesonly.blogspot.com



WORLD PEACE!!! LOVE AND PEACE!!!

Mella said...

I'm a bit off both. But mainly an optimist.

Levi said...

I find your blog really interesting. It always leaves me thinking, even after the next day. I'd have to say I'm more pessimistic. I try to keep my pessimistic thoughts to myself though. I try to think optimistically, I really do, it's just I have a hard time seeing the world as a happy place. I have nothing against pessimists or optimists, I usually get along with most people. But yeah, amazing blog.

griffinrider said...

wingless avian, you actually sound like a pessimist to me. what's the difference between "pessimist" and "realist", anyway?

i'm glad you all agree we should get along. optimists and pessimists unite!

and just for the record, optimists and pessimists have a LOT they can learn from eachother.

olivia, i think this is a start of a bautiful friendship.

Nano said...

The relationship between opyimists and Pessimists is like junk food. It tastes soooooo good, but it has bad consiquences. I like junk food. Like popcorn. Yum. That's the world in a nutshell, I guess. Popcorn. Who knew? But you are right. Pessimists and Optimists unite!!!! Like.... Getting your tonsils removed, but only having to eat ice-crem. Or... going home sick just to not be at school. Can't have good without the bad. Can't have wings without the mad scientists and psycho labs.

~Nano

Zetsu said...

Yes, I'm glad I'm a shorty

Steven said...

I'M PESSOMPTIMISTIC.

-Steven

Anonymous said...

I like your thoughts... keep it up!

I want to get a blog one of these days. For now I'm just a wannabe. But what the heck.

turnabout said...

alright well i only had the time/attention to skim but I must place myself in the pessimist catagorie. it's not entirely volentary action but because of the actions of others I now assume the worst in people/life/anything.... so yes. just in case you were wondering :]

turnabout said...

oh and looking further into the post i must object and say that my optimist friends don't mind my 'eternal grouchyness' it helps them to be happy...in a creepy kind of way... and i prefer the term 'realist'