CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 2, 2008

no thank you

there is something that people do all the time that is really starting to annoy me. they say "thank you" when they don't want to thank me. does anyone know what i mean?
recently, a man walked up to me and asked me for directions to the bus stop. i had no idea where the bus stop was. he looked a bit annoyed, but said "thank you" before walking away. why did he say that? i did nothing deserving of his gratitude, and he didn't feel any appriciation towards me. as he said the words that mean, "i very much appreciate what you just did", he was really thinking, "what kind of stupid kid doesn't know her way around her own neighborhood?!"
so what, pray tell, was the point in thanking me? just to be polite? he could've said, "sorry to have bothered you". that sounds a lot more honest.
and recordings keep thanking me, too. you know, when you dial a number that's out of service, or if you leave the phone off the hook, or if you're put on hold, a recording always comes up, gives you a message, and then says "thank you".
why is a machine saying "thank you" to me? machines are incapable of feelings, so it can't possibly feel any gratitude towards me, especially since all i've done was forget to hang up the phone. so why is this recording wasting my time thanking me when i know, and it knows, and everybody knows that it doesn't wish to thank me? what is the point of hearing the words "thank you" from a machine that cannot possibly mean what it's saying? it certainly doesn't make me feel appreciated.
well, my rant is over. thank you very much, and have a great day.

12 comments:

girl power said...

griffinrider,I think its very nice to say thank u for no reason because i do it all the time to be polite.

Anonymous said...

girl power has a wonderful point there. often, one does not know what to say in a situation, and it is extremly pivitol to say thank you. it amy not be showing any graditude, but it definitely does fill in awkward silences and is even ocassionly used just not to seem curt.

Anonymous said...

sometimes I have no other choice but to say thnak you to golda, otherwise she will start screaming at me about how she's the quueen of the universe and i have to express thanks to her, even if i dont wan to!
so griffinrider, what should i do?

shmozywannabe said...

i dunno what ur problem is griffinrider! saying than you is the magic word to get whatever your haert desires!

griffinrider said...

thank you all for your fantastic comments.

natschuster said...

Griffinwriter:

The man was showing his gratitude for your attempting to help him. He was showing gratitude for you giving him a few seconds of your time.

griffinrider said...

but that's just it- i DIDN'T help him! at all! i just sort of stood there blinking for a few seconds, frantically trying to think of a nearby bus stop.

ok, i guess you all think that "thank-you" 's are proper to say to people who ask for directions. but what about recordings? nobody has explained why a machine is thanking me.!

Anonymous said...

may be b/c the machine likes u!

dorkydoodle said...

maybe for you this is a mystery but for those individuals that never get a thank you said to them to show that their hard work is being acknoledged and a machine says thank you to them it could have made their day, week, mounth, or year! do you see now?

griffinrider said...

oh! thank you. yes, that really cleared things up for me. i now have 2 really good reasons why machines thank me. thank you for clarfiying that.

dorkydoodle said...

no problem!

BassRunner14 said...

Or it might just be sarcastic. As in they DON'T really mean it.