CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, March 4, 2008

a toothy story

i don't generally share personal information online, because it's usually not such a smart idea. but today i've decided to tell you a bit about myself: in the very recent past, i have had braces on my teeth.
it was not pleasant, to say the least.
i would like to share with you a particularly horrifying orthodontal experience. it's a bit random, but that's ok.
at first, it was just like any orthodontist appointment. i sat in the waiting room, reading a boring magazine and staring at bored-looking people and occasionally glancing at the pictures on the walls of bright, smiling people with perfectly straight teeth. you know, i don't think i have ever, i my entire life, seen someone smiling in a waiting room. and all these posters were staring at me like, "Go ahead, smile. we're smiling, why don't you?"
anywho, so finally i was called into the room. i sat on that cool chair that goes up and down (gotta get myself one of those!) and the orthodontist, let's call him Dr. G., was about to start on my teeth, when suddenly everything went black.
at first, i thought i had passed out or something. but after a moment i realized that what i was experiencing was actually a blackout. i thought it was great- i would be able to push off the torture of having my braces tightened! but then Dr. G. said to one of the ever-present nurses, "Go get a flashlight."
when his order was fulfilled, Dr. G. instructed the nurse to point the weak light into my mouth, and then he went on fiddling around with my braces as if it were the most natural thing in the world!
i was a bit uneasy about this, because the light wasn't very bright, and i wasn't sure if he could even see my face, let alone my teeth. he, on the other hand, acted as though this kind of thing happens every day. (for all i know, that could very well be true.)
well, to make a long and incredibly random story short, it was not a pleasant experience.
do any of you have weird, tooth-related stories to share?

16 comments:

dorkydoodle said...

i did a tumblesauce and my knee hit my mouth really, really hard, so my first tooth fell out. my second tooth fell out because i was blowing up a blow-up ball and my brother grabbed it out of my mouth really hard and my tooth came flying out with it. i know these are really wierd stories but i was only in first grade. oh, and i chipped my tooth from swimming into the staircase pole in the pool. i really didn't know how to swim straight until i was in 5th grade. so are they crazy enough griffinrider?

griffinrider said...

definitely crazy enough. you're realy accident prone, aren't you? did ANY of your teeth fall out naturally?

Jordan said...

OMG Who was Dr.G??? My cousin Levi Green is a dentist, and I call him Dr.Green. If you had my cousin for a dentist, Im gonna totally freak out.

Alannah said...

Unfortunatly (or fortunately?) I don't have any weird teeth stories. Your's was pretty funny though!

xny94x said...

I had to get oral surgery because one of my teeth wouldn't come down. They had previously pulled out the baby tooth but since no tooth had grown in, the gap turned into scar tissue. So the surgeon had to cut my gum, stick a chain to my tooth and yank it down. Then he sowed part of the gum back up... Now the same tooth has moved after my braces got taken off, my orthodontist gave me a retainer to were but, I lost it and am getting a new one in three weeks.

griffinrider said...

hey Jordan:
no, his name isn't green. thought that would be really weird if my dentist was your cousin.
hey alannah:
lucky you!
i like your profile picture, by the way. and your name is cool too. it's similar to the name of a very good friend of mine. pretty random, i know.
xnyetc:
ouch. it hurts my mouth just to think of it!

frankenstine said...

i just went to the dentist 2 nights ago , it wasn't much fun cause i had 2 cavities. i had one numbed like any ordinary cavity is taken care of, but the other one was done with out being numb! yes, it was kind of painful but in a way it was better b/c who would want their whole mouth being numb.

griffinrider said...

hey frankie:
ouch! and yet...you continue to eat candy, just as you aways have. right?

shmozywannabe said...

Actually, when I was once performing oral surgery on a patient, he fell asleep. Now, we're talking serious serious surgery where one has his front teeth removed for normally confidential purposes. The thing tat when you think about it sends shivers down your spine and you feel you arms vibrating. If opne falls alsleep it can be extremely hazardous. Therefore, I shook him various times till he sleepily moaned that he was awkae. Now, please inform me, how many of you have performed surgery only for the patient to fall asleep. That is something I would like to know.

dorkydoodle said...

frankie i missed you!!! oh that hurts!!

ImitationRandomFactor said...

you didnt miss me dorkydoodle?
how insulting!
how revolting!
how rude!
how offensive!
how discorteous!
how impolite~

Rain said...

well, i lost my first tooth when i was five. i was playing with my friend, and he was riding this plastic rocking-horse thing. and he rocked too far forward and busted my tooth out. >.< and there was blood everywhere and i was freaking out. but ANYWAY, another toothy story--

it was three years ago, and i had a cavity in a tooth that should have come out already. so they were just going to pull it. but what we didn't know then that we know now is that my body WAYYY over-reacts to any and every kind of medication. so they gave me this anesthesia stuff that was only supposed to be a little more powerful than laughing gas. anyway, i lasted through the operation, but as i was getting up to leave, i basically passed out. my mom had to drag/carry me to the car =/ i was asleep the entire afternoon and and all night, and the next morning, my cheek was still numb. =/ so now they have to give me some kind of special anesthetic. weird, i know.

griffinrider said...

totally weird.

by the way, i'm going away for a few days, so i might not answet your comments right away.

dorkydoodle said...

well imitation ramdom factor i always hear from you but from frankie it is a once in a while thing!! don't get insulted!!! Anyway that is for me to i won't be going on this blog for three days cause i will be having to much fun to do so, so please forgive me!!!

griffinrider said...

you are forgiven.

fueledbyfunk said...

. . . i fell asleep whilst getting my teeth pulled. that laughing gas does something to you.