CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, September 27, 2008

You Can't Take It With You

First of all, i must apologize for not posting as much as i used to. i am quite busy, with school and all.

so, philosophical rant of the day...here we go...



Most things don't last forever. that's the way this world runs. Food rots. Machines break down. Things die.

What maked me so sad is that so many people don't realize this. they spend all their time, money, and effort invested in things that, in the long run, really don't matter. you know those people who spend all day shopping? and when they're not shopping, they talk about shopping. and that's it. that's their lives. the cutests pair of shoes. the newest ipod.

And those shallow people who are obsessed with the way they look, who can spend hours in front of the mirror, trying to make their faces look like a supermodel's.

and there are people who are obsessed with making money. that's theier whole lives. isn't it sad? or people who are inlove with their concerts, their television shows, even their blogs.

at the end of the day, what are you left with? when your show is canceled, when your money is spent, when your beauty fades. what do you have left?

if the answer is Nothing, then you have a very big problem.

Nothing lasts forever, including your life. when it's time for you to leave this world, what are you taking with you? you can't bring along your money, your cute shoes, your house, car, or even your beauty.

will people remember you as the person who touched so many others' lives? who was always there to help? or will you be remembered as the person who wore the nicest outfits and drove the nicest car? will you even be remembered at all? will you be worth remembering?

Most things can't last forever. but some things can. even after you die, the impact you've had on others can change the world. what you've done for the world can last an eternity, echoing throughout the ages in a never-ending melody.

So, when it's your time to go, what is going to be left?

14 comments:

Cuppy said...

i totally agree. I just wish teens were allowed to actually make their own choices!!! if that was the case I'd be travelling right now, making memmories and having fun and trying to understand people and pass on understanding and stuff. Yeah, i just wish the world wasn't as materialistic as it is!!

Unknown said...

I agree completely. With Cuppy too.

I mean, I would't want to be remember as the girl who wore the coolest clothes and bleh and blah. I'd love to be remember as The girl who did something, who made a change. And i guess when you leave, do you really take your memories with you? Maybe, hopefully. That'd be the only thing I would take.

I'm glad your back :]

Rose Mary said...

teens are allowed to make their own choices. not on everything, but on plenty of things (usually). the thing is, it's when we're learning how to make our own decisions. we're not yet responsible enough to make them all.
funny quote that is barely related to the topic: "I don't want to be just the potato girl. I want to be the kind potato girl."

yeah, she was kind of odd...
anyway, great post. and I know I'm being pretty random here. I'm sorry.

griffinrider said...

cuppy, the thing that makes being a teen weird is the fact that we CAN begin to make our own choices, and since we're so inexperienced, those choices are often stupid ones.
R.Rocker, i believe that you do take memories with you. even things that don't last forever can still exist for eternity as a memory. it's one of those sad, beautiful things.
RM, potato girl?! why potato?

~Silver said...

If I were to die tomorrow, all that would be left of me would be the memories in my family's hearts and the my friends minds, and a few written things here and there, right now that would be all I could leave them, and that's ok with me, because I;m trying my best to make sure those memories are good ones. :)

c said...

being materialistic is a virus. it just keeps spreading.

"Oh lets be friends with her because she shops at blah store!!"

big whoop.

The next dog I get I GUARANTEE you I will have rescued it. One that probably no one would want, that everyone thought was ugly and was abused and hey, maybe it only had 3 legs. or 1 eye.

The problem is my dad.
all of the dogs i have had are "purebreds"
whatever

I'm not a teen yet and I don't get to make my own choices.

Lets make this world a better place.
For our grandchildren.
Because lets face it, even the world won't last forever.

c said...

PS

oh and freerice.com is a good website. My brother goes on it all the time because he is applying for high schools and all, but its for vocabulary.

Every question you get right. They donate 20 grains of rice to starving people in poor countries. Last night I did 50 questions and donated 1000 grains of rice. Its not that much but if you do it often it adds up!
Help Stop World Hunger!!!
(like u said) Take something with you!
You can make a difference!!

Beachbum said...

i absolutly agree with this post. its very true and it makes me want to stop spending so much time doing those stupid things. i think i'll be remembered as the friend who always had time for you. anytime you need to talk, i'm there for you. and i think that's a good way to be remembered. what do you want to be remembered as?
-christine♥

Cuppy said...

I do not agree with you, Rose Mary, although you bring up and excellent point in saying that we're learning. however, i beleive that we should be allowed to go to the places we want and do the things we want because right now we aren't near as close minded as adults. and if we have to wait until we're eighteen and corrupted with thoughts that college and university are the only ways to get a good job and make something of ourselves then we're just going to end up like everyone else and everyone else ends up in debt from the loans they have to take out to go to post secondary. that was long rant...

Bronte said...

oh thanks!
i love writing it
how it goin?

Bronte said...

wow, that made me think

Zetsu said...

very poetic. I think of that all the time. I always want to be remembered, and I want to be famous. Not like supermodel of actress or something. just remembered. I think it's funny, though, because today, our teacher graded the journals we did last week and wrote that she liked to read my inspiring journals (I forget exactly what she wrote... I know it started with a 'ph'...)

And also, thanks so much!! But it kind of runs in the family. My uncle is an architect and my sis can REALLY draw. though it's a different style. still great!!

P.S. I love reading your blogs so much!! They inspire me all the time! <3

mariposa said...

Hey! Thanks for the quote you left on my blog - it really plays in with my post. By the way, your blog is pretty awesome. So what would I have, when all material things vanish? I'd have to say I'd want to have people I love & who love me back.

Rose Mary said...

it was from kid nation. the girl was insane. she wold potatoes.

and I think our 'lack of freedom' helps us stay out of debt. our parents, or my parents, anyway, are teaching how to avoid things like that.